Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Curse of the Kitchen and Book Page Silhouette Art

I'm back!!!!

So let me explain what has been going on.  I have been extremely busy remodeling our kitchen.  I did tons and tons of projects in that room and most were huge fails.  I was convinced that the kitchen was cursed.  I told my husband that I think the kitchen was happy looking crappy for so long that when I started to improve it, it rebelled.  It seemed like everything I attempted to do in there went horribly wrong.

Because of all the project fails, I started to get in a funk.  My confidence went out the window and the blog suffered.  I had nothing to blog about.  Until now.

Finally, the kitchen has decided that it likes looking better and has let me do my projects without complications.  So I have several things to show you.  The kitchen still isn't finished, but it is about 85 percent done.  I hope to have it done by the beginning of the new year.

This project that I am about to show you was the turning point in this ordeal.  It is such an easy project.  I guess I needed that fail proof project to get my confidence back and get things done.


I made these 2 Book Page Silhouette Art Prints for the soffit above our cabinets.  Very easy and cheap to make.

Here is what you need:


2 Frames (whatever size your book pages will be)
Old Book
Computer and Printer with Black Ink

I remembered that I had this old Guinness book of World Records from 1977.  How I acquired that, I have no idea.  I wasn't even born yet.  Either way, I thought it would be neat to use the pages that pertained to food.  Conveniently, there was only 2 pages that were food related records.  I tore those out carefully.

Next, I got on the computer and looked for kitchen utensil silhouette vector art that was a .png file format.



I found these two utensils that were .png files and opened them in photoshop.  As you can see, the background is invisible and that is what you want.  Also, I made mine 5x7s to fit in my frame.  You have to adjust your printer paper size to 5x7 as well.  Insert your book page into your printer and print it.

I had to cut off some excess book page to fit into my frame.  But that is it.  It is ready to hang on the wall.


It really was a relief to have a project go smoothly and quickly.  The total cost of the project was $20 for the frames and it literally took about 20 minutes to complete. 

I will post how I made the mini fork sunburst mirror next.  Another easy project.  So please come back to see that.

Thanks for sticking with me through the blogging drought.  I have some exciting things coming up for the new year and can't wait to reveal them.